One of the newer, more successful grooming products is CBD shampoo for dogs. I am familiar with the benefits of using Pet Releaf CBD hemp oil, but CBD in pet grooming products is a newer concept. I decided to find out if the hype is worth it by testing CBD shampoo and conditioner on my dog.
Like human shampoos, not all dog shampoos are created equal, especially when it comes to CBD products. As a pet parent, you must be incredibly vigilant about any CBD products you intend to give your dog.
Sometimes you’ll see the terms hemp oil and CBD oil used interchangeably. Hemp oil is also known as CBD oil, full-spectrum oil, or broad-spectrum hemp oil.
After researching CBD hemp oil for dogs, using different CBD brands on my dogs, and discussing the topic with our veterinarian, we started using Pet Releaf CBD hemp oil for dogs many years ago. I decided to try Pet Releaf’s new line of CBD grooming products for dogs, which include two shampoos, one conditioner, and one 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner.
I noticed a huge difference when using Pet Releaf’s CBD products on my dogs, so it was a natural progression for me to try their CBD grooming line on my dog. I talked with my dog’s veterinarian prior to administering Pet Releaf products on my pooch and recommend you do the same.
Disclaimer: I am a Pet Releaf brand ambassador and am compensated in this role. I am also a Pet Releaf affiliate. Fidose of Reality only shares products we use and believe in.
Some of the links in this article are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I am also an Etsy and Chewy affiliate.
What Makes CBD Shampoo Better Than Regular Shampoo?
CBD can be beneficial to your dog’s body both inside and out. Pet Releaf’s CBD shampoo and conditioning products are plant-based and contain no detergents, dyes, silicone, triclosan, DEA, SLS, parabens, or petroleum.
Here are the main differences between a high-quality CBD dog shampoo like Pet Releaf for dogs and regular shampoo.
- Veterinarian formulated
- Includes USDA organic full spectrum extract
- Plant powered
- Supports support endocannabinoid receptors
- CBD supports glands that produce sebum (a substance that keeps skin moisturized)
- CBD shampoo can help keep a dog’s skin moisturized over long periods of time, and not just a one-time fix at bath time.
- Made in an FDA-registered facility in the United States
- Contains all-natural ingredients you can pronounce
- Safe for dogs over 8 weeks
- Free of solvents and harsh ingredients
Most regular dog shampoos do not have these same qualities, or very few. Pet Releaf CBD grooming products target dogs with dry skin, itchy skin, matted fur, and sensitivities. Because the ingredients are organic and coupled with CBD and plant-based ingredients, your dog benefits.
Many regular dog shampoos targeted to itchy skin or dry skin contain detergents or harsh agents that can strip the coat and further irritate the skin. Premium CBD is the extra touch in combination with ingredients that matter.
Here’s an ingredient label from a well-known itchy dog shampoo:
Here’s an ingredient label from Pet Releaf’s Skin and Coat CBD Dog Shampoo:
My Dog Tried Pet Releaf Skin and Coat Shampoo
There are four products in the Pet Releaf grooming line, which I will outline below. I tried the Skin & Coat Releaf Shampoo Itchy & Dry Skin Formula to start and followed it up with Skin & Coat Releaf Conditioner Soothe & Silken Formula.
Why I Selected The CBD Itchy Skin Formula Dog Shampoo
My dog has been dealing with flaky skin for a few months. After my veterinarian checked him over, it was attributed to dry, winter air. I started giving him Pet Releaf Hemp Oil on a regular basis. I know CBD oil can help itchy skin by reducing inflammation, acting as a natural antihistamine, and boosting the immune system.
Dogs with dry skin can begin to itch. It was a no-brainer for me to try the Itchy and Dry Skin Formula on Alvin’s skin and coat. Here are the pros and cons of our experience with this Pet Releaf CBD shampoo formula.
- Lather factor. Pet Releaf lathered beautifully and was silky smooth as I worked the product into my dog’s skin and coat.
- Fragrance. The natural chamomile fragrance is light and airy and not overpowering. There are no chemically-based fragrances in this formula.
- Organic full-spectrum hemp extract with CBD. The extract is obtained with organic farming methods and contains no chemicals or contaminants.
- Sit and Stay Factor. Unlike some dog shampoos that make you wait 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing, Pet Releaf should remain on the skin for 3 to 4 minutes before rising.
- Layering. It can be used in conjunction with ingestible Pet Releaf CBD hemp oil products to improve your dog’s skin and coat inside and out.
- Feel-Good Factor. I felt good putting a product on my dog’s skin without worrying about chemicals, being tested on animals, or any safety concerns.
- Topical Flea and Tick Preventatives. Pet Releaf will not wash any topical flea and tick products you previously applied to your dog. (we use non-chemical preventatives, which it doesn’t affect either.)
- Generous CBD Amount. Each bottle contains 100 mg CBD.
- Price. A 16-ounce bottle is around $23, which is higher than most dog shampoos.
- One Size. At this time, there is only one size available. Consider stocking up if you are a multi-dog household.
- Scent. Although the fragrance is natural chamomile, some pet parents can’t use any pet shampoos with a scent, natural or not.
- Shipping Areas. Due to regulations, Pet Releaf does not ship outside the United States.
You don’t need to follow the shampoo with a conditioner, but I prefer to do so. Pet Releaf’s Skin & Coat conditioner is designed to soothe and silken a dog’s coat and fur. If your dog has coarse or heavy hair, I highly recommend the conditioner.
It contains silk protein and argan oil, the latter of which is used to lock in moisture, restore luster and shine, and restore smoothness. This product is perfect for dry skin. It performed with the same efficacy and power of the shampoo.
My Dog’s Results From Pet Releaf CBD Shampoo
I am pleased to announce Alvin’s flaky skin went away after one application of shampoo and conditioner. I gave Alvin a bath once every other week for one month and haven’t seen any flakes since.
In conjunction with the shampoo and conditioner, I’ve also been using a Mars Coat King size 20 Undercoat Tool in the tub. It removes unwanted undercoat and keeps the coat nice and shiny, see?
Two other items I highly recommend for your dog’s bath time are:
Aquapaw Lick Mat: Suction cups hold it to the bathtub wall. If your dog doesn’t like bathtub time, you can feel safe allowing him to lick a favorite treat like peanut butter from the 100 percent food-safe silicone.
Kong Zoom Groom: This handy tool is great for shampooing or dry use. I use it in the tub as it gently cleans and massages my dog. You need to wait 3 to 4 minutes for the Pet Releaf shampoo to work its magic, so I give my dog a massage, and he loves it!
What Grooming Products Does Pet Releaf Offer?
In addition to their soothing topical stick, Pet Releaf currently offers four products in their dog grooming line, which all contain organic full-spectrum hemp extract with CBD.
Skin & Coat Releaf Shampoo Itchy & Dry Skin Formula: This formula is for dogs dealing with skin conditions like dryness, itching, and/or hot spots. This plant-based shampoo includes organic aloe and oatmeal to promote healthy, itch-free skin.
Skin & Coat Releaf Shampoo Sensitive Skin Formula: This fragrance-free, plant-based shampoo contains organic aloe, organic chamomile, and organic calendula, and is ideal for dogs with sensitivities to regular grooming products.
Skin & Coat Releaf 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner: Formulated with organic aloe, kelp, organic oat protein, and shea butter, this 2-in-1 plant-based shampoo/conditioner is a perfect go-to all-in-one solution.
Skin & Coat Releaf Conditioner Soothe & Silken Formula: This product leaves your dog runway-ready. If your dog has coarse or long hair, this is a must-have conditioner. Infused with silk protein and argan oil, the results are a smooth, silky coat.
Whether your dog needs an overall coat care shampoo, has dry skin, allergies, sensitive skin, or needs a good conditioner, Pet Releaf’s CBD dog grooming products are worth your time and dollars.
Where Can I Purchase Pet Releaf Grooming Products?
Pet Releaf products are available for purchase online at petreleaf.com to anyone in the U.S. Pet Releaf is also available to purchase in hundreds of stores across the U.S. (https://petreleaf.com/storelocator) and in Petco stores.
SPECIAL SAVINGS: Use code FIDOSE20 to save 20 percent at checkout when you purchase through PetReleaf.com. Plus free shipping on all orders over $75.
What Do I Look For in a Pet CBD Product?
CBD is not a regulated industry, so it’s up to you, the pet parent, to know what to purchase for your dog. Here’s what to check:
- Is the product sourced from United States-based farms?
- Do the farms use sustainable and regenerative practices?
- Is the product free of pesticides and herbicides?
- Is the CBD oil a full-spectrum product? If so, your dog is getting all the beneficial cannabinoids from the hemp plant, including CBD,
- Is the product third-party testy by independent laboratories on a regular basis? You will find this information on the brand’s website to see what product tests and certifications are posted.
Fortunately, Pet Releaf meets and exceeds all of the above criteria. Pet Releaf also received program certifications from the three most trusted organizations in their industries, including the National Animal Supplement Council, U.S. Hemp Authority™, and USDA Organic on some of their products.
Where Can I Learn More About Pet Releaf Products?
I’ve used Pet Releaf products with my dogs for several years and have written extensively about them. Although I cannot guarantee the same results with your dogs, I only recommend products we use regularly with success.
Here are a few of the articles in our Pet Releaf library of content:
Is Hemp Oil Good For Dogs?
Choosing the Right CBD for Dogs and Dosage
FAQs About Pet Releaf Products
This is a direct quote from Pet Releaf, who report, “Pet Releaf products have no known contraindications and can safely be administered alongside the other medications your pet is on. We would always recommend consulting with your vet when introducing Pet Releaf products into your pet’s daily regimen.”
Pet Releaf CBD hemp oil products have no psychoactive properties, so they will not get your dog high.
Never use human shampoo on your dog. Pet Releaf products match the optimal pH of a dog’s healthy balanced skin as indicated in the chart above.
It is designed to interact with your dog’s body through the endocannibinoid (ECS) system. The ECS has cannibinoid receptors throughout the dog’s body, including hair follicles and skin.
All packaging comes with a suggested dose, and the customer service team can help with any questions at email@example.com or by calling 1-844-646-1646.