To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
You likely know Katherine Heigl as an American TV and movie actress, but did you know she’s also a staunch animal activist? Her passion for animal welfare drove her to launch a healthy new dog food brand, called Badlands Ranch, in 2022.
Featuring all-natural, air-dried, and whole-food ingredients, Badlands Ranch Superfood Complete has quickly exploded in popularity. What’s the lowdown on this grain-free formula the company says “contains some of the healthiest foods on Earth?” Is it worth all the hype? And more important, is it the best diet for your pup?
Visit Badlands Ranch Website
Badlands Ranch Dog Food Review
We recommend Badlands Ranch if you prefer a grain-free premium diet for your fuzzy sidekick — and if you can afford the extremely expensive price tag.
Our team rates dog food based on several factors, including variety, nutritional value, pricing, customer feedback, customer support, and more.
- Whole-food ingredients with no preservatives or fillers
- Free of wheat, soy, corn, potatoes, and dairy
- Humanely raised beef
- Also offers 100% freeze-dried beef liver, chicken, and salmon treats
- 90-day money-back guarantee
- Proceeds and food donated to animal shelters and no-kill advocacy organizations
- Made in the USA
- Very expensive
- Only one formula available (beef & salmon)
- No grain-inclusive option
- No auto-shipping (but they say it’s coming soon)
According to Badlands website as of early March: “Due to extremely high demand, Superfood Complete will ship to you in 10-15 business days.” We’re assuming this is temporary until they can ramp up production. And despite the delays, it’s an excellent sign that customers (and their furry friends) are loving this dog food.
- A healthy, shelf-stable option
- Excellent nutritional balance and packed with protein
- Doesn’t contain any grains, meat meal or by-products, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Food is slow-cooked at low temperatures in small batches and air-dried to preserve the nutritional content and freshness
- Every purchase you make helps animals in need through a partnership with Heigl’s nonprofit, the Jason Debus Heigl Foundation
- Badlands Ranch pledges $100,000 annually to support animal rescues and makes monthly food donations to shelters
Badlands Ranch Superfood Complete is a well-balanced, high-protein formula with moderate levels of fat, fiber, and carbohydrates. The caloric content falls on the low end of regular commercial kibble, which typically consists of 325-600 calories per cup.
With an estimated 32% carbohydrate content, it’s lower in carbs than many commercial kibble recipes, which contain 30-60% carbs, a majority of which are starches (grains such as wheat, rice, barley, oats, and corn). Also, for a high-protein air-dried/dehydrated dog food, Superfood Complete has slightly higher fiber and lower fat levels than many of its competitors.
- Crude Protein: 30% (min)
- Crude Fat: 14% (min)
- Crude Fiber: 5% (max)
- Moisture: 15% (max)
- Calories: 326 kcal/cup
Badlands Ranch Dog Food Ingredients
Let’s break down this premium formula’s ingredients so you know the health benefits for your furry friend. The first four ingredients are beef, beef liver, beef heart, and salmon, all high-quality sources of protein and fat your active pup needs to thrive. Not only are organ meats rich in vitamins A, B, D, and E, copper, iron, phosphorus, selenium, and zinc, but they can also add a lot of meaty flavors (good for picky pups).
While this recipe is grain-free, it contains sweet potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, broccoli, and blueberries, all healthy complex carbohydrates that are easily digested and provide plenty of fiber and other nutrients. It’s also fortified with a blend of essential vitamins and minerals carefully chosen for optimal canine health.
Other “Superfood” Ingredients
- Flaxseed: source of omega-3 and 6 fatty acids Docosahexenoic Acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) that support brain and eye development and skin, coat, joint, and immune health
- Chia seeds: rich in plant protein, fiber, antioxidants, omega fatty acids, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and phosphorus
- Lion’s Mane mushroom (Hericium erinaceus): promotes digestive, immune, heart, and cognitive health, helps the body better metabolize fat, reduces inflammation, and includes many vitamins and minerals
- Ginger & turmeric: natural antioxidants that have anti-inflammatory properties, making them good additions for your pup’s cell and joint health
Note: We’d like to see more specific information on their website about where they source the ingredients, where they make their food, and the quality-control measures the company employs. However, Badlands Ranch does say they only work with suppliers committed to the humane treatment of animals.
Have There Been Any Badlands Ranch Dog Food Recalls?
A pet food recall typically occurs when there’s a potential risk of contamination or another issue that causes the food to not meet quality standards. Recalls are issued either by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), which governs pet food standards, or voluntarily by the brand themselves. Badlands Ranch hasn’t had any food recalls to date, but it’s only been on the market since late Summer 2022.
Badlands Ranch offers discounts if you purchase 3 or 6 bags of dog food or treats at once. Sign up for a free account with no subscription commitment for the prices below. Shipping is free on orders over $50.
Badlands Ranch Superfood Complete
They currently only offer one dog food recipe, but we hope to see them add more formulas in the near future.
- 24-oz bag: $39.95 (reg. $59.95)
Badlands Ranch Superfood Bites
These bite-sized treats are made with one single freeze-dried ingredient: raw beef liver, chicken breast, or wild salmon.
- 4-oz bag: $17.99 (reg. $19.99)
Badlands Ranch Coupon Code
With a subscription you can save up to 60% off Badlands Ranch. Use this link to get started.
What’s Our Final Verdict?
Visit Badlands Ranch Website
We highly recommend Badlands Ranch if you prefer a grain-free premium diet for your fuzzy sidekick — and if you can afford the extremely expensive price tag. However, the high cost certainly doesn’t seem to be deterring many pup parents, as evidenced by the high demand and overwhelmingly positive customer reviews we’ve seen online.
If you’re still exploring other types of healthy dog food, be sure to read our reviews of the best dog food delivery services, including personalized fresh meals, all-natural kibble, and dehydrated dog food. You may also want to check out our article on the best dog foods for most diet types, ages, health issues, and more.
Tagged With: Food Delivery